Saturday, October 16, 2010

the final countdown

Here I sit at Narita airporrt, cappacinno in hand, awaiting my flight home. I am sad to leave to say the least but I tried to sleep in this morning knowing I will not get any sleep winging my way to sunny Perth. I spent the day in Harajuku in the back streets where i found an interesting art space with a labrinth of rooms and stairways filled with local illustrators works with free samples printed on postcards, they were varied in style but the manga style dominates. the place was buzzing as people explored the rooms filled with amazing artwork and placed stars on them if they liked them and filled out comment books. Great way to showcase your folio.

I finally found a yakatori place and sat amongst clouds of smoke eating my yakatori and rice as I was sat in the smoking section as there was no other room at the inn, so very unpleasant surroundings for my final meal in Tokyu! Near the hotel I went to General Nogis house and witnessed a traditional wedding. No one invited me! Such costumes, lush and traditional.

I headed back to the hotel to pick up my heaving bags and reluctantly headed to Shibuya for my final train journey. Saturday crowds made my journey a little difficult on the subway but I got to the Narita Express without difficulty and waited to board the train to the airport and that is that.

My final observations of Japan are: the people are very friendly and helpful; the vending machines are awesome as previously stated; the hotels are extremely clean and well run; the transport system is spot on for punctuality and also for the stopping at stations and the alignment of the doors with the gaps on the platform which makes for easy boarding; the english signage and announcements make it easy for us dumb foreigners; food is awesome; green tea heaven; bicycles rule;  neon never looked so good; awesome views and beautiful scenery; great clean toilets with baby holders, optional flushing noise to disguise any untoward noise one may make sitting on the loo; just the fact that such a crowded city is so organised and easy to get around is amazing in itself; a great mix of history, modern life, traditional life, gadgets, fashion and shops, art and design, and more...

No comments:

Post a Comment